Un Hoarding aka Garage Sale






For the past 20 years or so, I have stored bins full of my children's toys and some clothing.  I know that some of my hoarding tendencies stem from the fact that I do not have anything from my childhood.  I didn't want my kids not to have childhood memorabilia once they established their own family.  And another part of me wanted to tell my gorgeous grandchildren (and they will be gorgeous) that the toy they are playing with once belong to their mom or dad.  My husband thinks I'm crazy but he doesn't discourage me and takes the bins to our airplane hanger for storage when needed.  I'm a very lucky wife.  John's philosophy about spending and my over zealous social calendar is "Don't sweat the little stuff" and it's all little stuff. ( Great book by the way.)  It makes living with him very pleasant.  No worries about spending or hiding shopping bags or needing a separate checking account, as some wives I know do.   He always told me that I was an adult and knew how much we made so my spending was up to me.  Both fear and awe struck me at the same time when he told me this.  Words I will never forget and live by.  I'm an adult!!!!



Back to un-hoarding, our neighborhood host two garage sales a year, one in the spring and one in the fall.  This year, I am determined to unload and make a little extra cash with all the things I have collected.  Mind you I will keep a few toys and books for my kids, I can't ever sell the Brio train set or our Goodnight Moon book which was read every night before bed when they were toddlers.  Or Zoom Broom which my kids loved during the elementary school years and I had to read using character voices.  I need to make sure that when I am gone, my kids have reminders of their childhood.....good memories. (Again, this stems from my own childhood.)

Since I have been sick for the past three days, I am taking advantage of being homebound and started to go through our entire upstairs in order to discard all the things we have collected over the years.

I have not done a Garage sale due to the volume of work it entails in about 7 years.  Wish me luck!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National Charity League and Us

HockaDONE!

I'm a Bad Ass